Call for PhD studentships in an NCN QuantERA Call 2019 international research project
Project title: Quantum information and communication with high-dimensional encoding – QuICHE
Principal investigator: Dr Michał Karpiński
Research entity: Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw
Number of positions available: 2
Studentship duration: until February 2023, may be extended to 36 months
Start date: after 01.07.2020 (as agreed)
Total funding: 4500 Polish złoty/month (under certain circumstances social and helath insurance contributions may be deducted from the studentship amount).
The studentship is awarded following the regulations of National Science Centre of Poland (NCN), as described in „Regulamin przyznawania stypendiów naukowych w projektach badawczych finansowanych ze środków Narodowego Centrum Nauki”, based on decision of the NCN Council no 85/2018 dated 26.09.2018.
Additional funding may be available from the Doctoral School of Natural and Exact Sciences of the University of Warsaw.
Description of tasks:
Research work will be carried out at the Institute of Experimental Physics of the Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw within the NCN QuantERA project “Quantum information and communication with high-dimensional encoding – QuICHE”.
You will carry out research tasks within the international QuICHE project at Quantum Photonics Lab, under the supervision of Dr Michał Karpiński. The project is carried out in an international consortium of Imperial College London, Universities in Dusseldorf, Paderborn, Lille and Pavia, and University of Warsaw, http://quiche.fuw.edu.pl. Your tasks will involve experimental or theoretical work on multidimensional processing and distribution of quantum information using optical encoding in time and frequency, which may be partially carried out during research visits at international partner’s research groups.
Requirements: (following NCN regulations)
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in physics or a related field, or for students of final years of MSc study programmes: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) ) in physics or a related field.
- Knowledge of English language to a degree enabling fluent everyday communication in a laboratory setting, reading and writing scientific publications, oral presentation of research results at scientific conferences.
To be eligible to receive the stipend the candidate must either already be a doctoral student, or after being accepted for this position, must take part in the recruitment procedure to doctoral studies at the Doctoral School of Exact and Natural Sciences of the University of Warsaw .
- Experience of working in an optical laboratory
- Knowledge of topics within nonlinear optics and/or quantum optics and/or quantum information theory and/or quantum key distribution.
- Knowledge of basic software for computer simulations and data analysis (e.g. MATLAB, Wolfram Mathematica, LabView).
- Experience in modern numerical modelling methods.
- Publications in high-quality scientific journals, internships in national and/or international research institutions.
- Cover letter (in English) with a personal data processing consent (following the form attached to this announcement).
You sould provide scans of signed cover letter and signed data processing consent form (link).
- curriculum vitae (in English), with information about your research activity and achievements to-date.
- list of scientific publications and conference presentations,
- copies of diplomas from your study, with study transcripts.
- A letter of reference from your scientific supervisor sent directly by the supervisor to Dr Michal Karpinski, to email: michal.karpinski [at] fuw.edu.pl
Application deadline: 15 June 2020, 11.59 pm Warsaw time
How to apply: by e-mail to michal.karpinski [at] fuw.edu.pl . Please send a single email message with pdf attachments. Email subject: “PhD student application QuICHE”.
Selected candidates may be invited to an interview. Interview invitations will be sent individually by email.
If a selected candidate does not take up the studentship we reserve the right to select the next candidate from the ranking list.
Additional information: please contact Dr Michał Karpiński, michal.karpinski [at] fuw.edu.pl